The Marine Studies Department at the Canterbury School of Florida is seeking a Marine Science Education Intern for the summer of 2015. The Marine Science Education Intern will assist with various marine science camps for students in grades PK4 through Grade 8. The intern will lead students and campers in interactive learning experiences with touch tanks, a redfish aquaculture system, a laptop lab and an interactive Promethean. The intern will also assist with field trips to venues including local beaches and aquariums.
The intern will also help develop marine studies curriculum for students in PK3 through Grade 12. The curriculum will focus on all aspects of marine science and environmental education. Additionally, the intern will help maintain and care for the classroom, lab space and learning resources in the Cousteau Center for Marine Studies (CCMS).
The marine studies program features a kayak fleet, 23-foot Sea-Pro bay boat, and three aquarium touch tanks filled with crabs, sea stars, fish, shrimp and tunicates. The mission of the Marine Studies Department is to inspire an appreciation of the local marine environment and to promote responsible stewardship. The program aims to accomplish these goals by enhancing traditional science curriculum and focusing on inquiry-based marine science education.
* Undergraduate or graduate student majoring in marine science, environmental science, biology, or similar field.
* Exhibits a positive attitude, is hard-working, and passionate about educating students about the marine environment.
* Willingness to work with students in grades PK4 through Grade 8.
* Flexible hours ranging from 20 to 40 hours per week from June 1- August 8. Total hours not to exceed 250.
* Pay rate of $10/ hour
* Capable of working long hours outdoors in typical and inclement coastal Florida weather.
* Capable of lifting 30- 50 pounds.
* Experience working in environmental education and with youth ages 4 through 12 a plus.
* Kayaking experience a plus.
* Lifeguard certification a plus.
* Send resume and interest statement to Jenna Cummings at Jcummings@canterburyflorida.org by March 20, 2015.